Holistic healing is an essential part of recovery for many. Focusing on internal energy levels may ensure that your mental, physical, and spiritual well being are all addressed equally using traditional and alternative techniques. Energy healing can include physical treatments, reframing how you think, and empowering your spiritual self. Most conventional Eastern medicine inherently involves some form of energy manipulation, including aura raking, centering, removing “bad” energy, and aura infusing. Some people who take part in these beliefs and spiritual wellness practices use special items like chakra crystals, wands, or symbols.
Eastern medicine can include various natural extracts and compounds and energy altering exercises. There are several ways in which these alternative therapies can improve your recovery. For example, a 2012 study by the University of Massachusetts Medical School reported that Qigong therapy could noticeably reduce “cue-elicited craving and symptoms of depression” in individuals recovering from substance use. A few other proven recovery benefits include:
- Decreases instances of anxiety, depression, and stress
- Improves focus and attention span
- Promotes mindfulness and anchoring your thoughts in the present
- Spiritual fulfillment and growth
What Is Energy Healing?
Energy healing can mean many things depending on who you ask. Some people believe in distinct energy pathways within the body, and others have different ways of mapping out the life-force they manipulate to encourage healing, calm, and fitness. The research into the efficacy of these forms of healing is mixed, and more studies are needed to determine how they can affect the mind and body.
You may have heard of the various natural energy healing techniques like acupuncture, yoga, and meditation. There are dozens more that you may be less familiar with, including:
- Reiki Healing: Reiki involves targeting specific energy fields around the human body. During a session, the Reiki healer moves their hands over areas of the body where energy may be stagnant to open up the flow and smooth the user’s aura.
- Pranic Healing: There is no physical touch required in Pranic healing. During the session, you sit or lay comfortably, touch the tip of your tongue to your palate, and then hold your palms upward while the Pranic healer manipulates your energy.
- Crystal Healing: For crystal healing, semiprecious stones, including quartz, opals, and amethyst, are used to manipulate the energy within your body. They are used to remove negative energy and increase positive energy.
- Quantum Healing: Your mind, body, and soul can heal using subatomic – often called quantum – energy. Quantum Healing often accompanies hypnotic techniques and is a non-invasive energy treatment.
- Quigong: This is an ancient practice that combines controlling your thoughts, breathing, and posture to promote more focused thinking and a healthier body.
- Healing Touch Therapy: Healing Touch is similar to Reiki healing in that hand movements are used to “move” and adjust energy within the human body to encourage mental, physical, and spiritual healing.
- Polarity Therapy: Electromagnetic fields within the body improve overall health when appropriately balanced. Polarity therapists believe that manipulating internal energy can fix mental health and medical issues.
Eastern Medicine Used In Treatment
Various medical institutions have utilized eastern herbal remedies for treating symptoms related to substance use disorders. Researchers have been looking at these ancient traditions to see how they can benefit people going through treatment and recovery for drug and alcohol abuse. The inconclusive findings in some research encourage more study, but there is some indication that specific herbal remedies are useful as additional treatments. The National Institute on Drug Dependence and Beijing Key Laboratory of Drug Dependence reported in 2017 a summary of results for several clinical studies. They found that “traditional Chinese herbal medicines may be used to complement current treatments for drug addiction, including withdrawal and relapse.”
It is recommended to never take an herbal supplement without the oversight of a medical professional. Self-medicating even with seemingly innocuous herbs and nutrients can worsen symptoms or lead to complications with subscribed medications. Always speak with your doctor before starting or stopping a new health supplement.
Long-Term Benefits Of Incorporating Energy Healing In Your Recovery
A 2004 study showed that energy healing had long-term benefits, including decreased psychological depression and lower levels of overall stress for practitioners. People who participate in regular use of Eastern herbal medicines and energy healing have reported multiple long-term effects on their mental, physical, and spiritual wellbeing, including decreased levels of pain, fewer intrusive thoughts, and a greater sense of spiritual calm.
Energy healing and natural remedies can improve your health and make certain aspects of recovery easier. Spiritual health and growth are essential for many people going through substance use treatment and aftercare. There is scientific evidence to back up the benefits they can provide. If you have enjoyed the transformative nature of Eastern medicine or energy healing, there are dozens of useful treatments you may find helpful. At Safe Harbor Treatment, we understand the importance of providing access to alternative therapies. We have several different treatments you can choose from and can give references for outside healing therapies for those who need it. Your mental, spiritual, and physical wellbeing are our top priority. In addition to our comprehensive selection of traditional and alternative therapeutic modalities, we make sure each client thrives in the following practical life areas to ensure lifelong recovery. We can work together to make sure you feel comfortable and have all the resources necessary to be successful in your recovery. To find out more about what we have to offer, call Safe Harbor today at (833) 580-1473.